Our Mission is to provide the information, support, and encouragement parents need to help their children develop optimally during the crucial early years of life. Together...Let's guide your children to be the best they can be!
Parents as Teachers (PAT) is a free parent education program available to families with children birth to age 5 or families who are expecting a child. Parents receive information regarding each stage of your child's development, activities to use with your child, and support for your parenting questions and concerns.
PAT is designed to foster strong, loving relationships between parents and their children. In the first few years, children learn more and at a faster pace than at any other time in life. Babies are born to learn, and we support parents as the child's first and most important teacher.
“I have gained so much from this program. Having monthly interactions with an expert in child education has been valuable to my son’s development and what I do as a parent. I am more aware and educated on topics ranging from development and milestones to discipline and education. I have been given so many ideas, direction and info that have helped me with this. Also, my son eagerly awaits our visits from our parent educator.” - Berthoud PAT Parent
The Benefits of Parents As Teachers Are:
By the age of three, PAT children are significantly more advanced in language, problem solving, cognitive abilities and social development than the non-PAT children in the comparison group.
- PAT children score higher on kindergarten readiness and standardized achievement tests in the early grades.
- PAT parents display confidence in their parenting role and read more often to their children.
- PAT parents are more involved in their children's schooling which is KEY to the child's success in school.
As a Parents As Teachers Family, you receive:
- Personal Visits - monthly visits at your home during which your parent educator will share age-appropriate development/parenting information and address your parenting concerns.
- Parent Group Connections - monthly opportunities with other families to share information about your parenting issues and child development. Parents learn and support each other, observe their children with other children, and practice parenting skills.
- Screenings - to assess your child's overall development as well as health, hearing, and vision.
- Resource Network - to provide links for your family to other community services.
Contact us today to schedule your FREE personal visitation.
Spanish services available -- Servicios en Español
BLPAT Coordinator & Parent Educator